- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the day before your surgery. This includes water and gum.
- If it is necessary for you to take medication by the direction of your physician please do so with only a sip of water.
- Please arrange for a responsible person to drive you home after surgery or accompany you home. You will not be allowed to leave alone and unattended.
- Notify your physician if your medical condition changes, such as a cold or flu.
- Please follow these instructions as they are very important for your safety. Failing to do so will result in the delay, cancelling and/or rescheduling of your surgery.
DAY OF SURGERY
- Please arrive one hour prior to your scheduled surgery time. Upon arrival, you will be asked to complete admission forms and sign consents.
- Prior to your surgery, you will meet with the Anesthesiologist, nurse and Surgeon, and will have the opportunity to ask any last minute questions.
- Leave all valuables at home, including jewelry, contact lenses, etc.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing that is easily removed for your convenience.
- Transportation the day of surgery is necessary; you may not drive yourself home. It is imperative that you have an adult 18 years or older to escort you home after your procedure. For your safety, we will not discharge you from the surgery center unaccompanied.
- Please arrange for a responsible adult to remain with you during the first night post operative.
- It is not unusual to feel a little sleepy, lightheaded or dizzy several hours after surgery.
- Do not drive, smoke, drink alcoholic beverages or operate machinery for 24 hours.
- Your surgeon will prescribe pain relief medication, as needed, for at-home use following surgery.
- You will be given post-operative instructions. The nurses will review these with you and answer any questions.
- Be sure to bring a photo ID and insurance card.
- Should you have specific questions regarding your surgical procedure, please contact your surgeon’s office.
- Bring all of your routine medications including herbs, vitamins, supplements, and over the counter medications with you on the day of your surgery. If you experience a change in your health, such as a fever, please notify your doctor prior to surgery.
REMEMBER: DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING 8 HOURS PRIOR TO SURGERY